Walk No.2 – South of Main Road

1.”The Ship” public house, a Grade II listed building with old tile roof, possibly 17th Century


2.“The Archers” Wine Bar, a Grade II listed building with old tile roof, probably 17th Century


3. At corner of Balgores Lane shops with flats, designed for the garden Suburb in 1912.

 

4. Site of Humphrey Repton’s cottage (the 18th Century Landscape gardener), Now occupied by TSB.


TURN LEFT INTO BALGORES LANE.


5. On the right Balgores House preceded the Suburb and was used as a refreshment house for the 1910/11 Exhibition; It is now a school.


6. No17 Balgores Lane is an Exhibition house by J.D & H. Matthews.


7. A pair of Exhibition houses at Nos.31 & 33 by Young & Hall. Also No.35 by Spencer Murch.


8. An Exhibition house at No. 39 by A.F.C. Bentley.


9. Exhibition houses as Follows:
No.47 by Herbert Axten
No.49 by C.A Lewin
No 51by Berkeley Wills


10. No. 57 by Gerard David.


TURN LEFT INTO HARE HALL LANE.


11.& 12. Shops with flats over by Ashbee and Gripper & Stevenson. Intended to be continuous arcade. It is now separated by a 1930’s block.

Note the two hares and the date “1912” on the face of the first building.

11
12

TURN RIGHT INTO BALGORES SQUARE


13. At the S.W. Corner of the Square are shops with flats over, originally intended to surround the square, but not completed. (By Fair and Myer).


ON THE RIGHT IS GIDEA PARK (AND SQUIRRELS HEATH)
STATION BUILT FOR THE SUBURB.


14. At the centre of Balgores Square is a covenanted open
space owned by Havering Borough and used as a car park.



MOVE NORTH ROUND THE SQUARE TO
SQUIRRELS HEATH AVENUE.

Continue northward along Squirrels Heath Avenue.


15. On the right of the ellipse are six matching red brick houses by Ashbee and Gripper & Stevenson (Nos.27,29,31,33,35 & 37). A matching group was planned for the opposite side of the ellipse but was not built.


16. On the left No.26 by E. Willmott. Nos. 28 & 30 by Ernest J.Mager.


17. No. 3 , 5 &7 are by Gripper &
Stevenson.


18. At the end of Squirrels Heath Avenue note the semis facing you in Balgores Crescent built in vernacular style from 1912 by Bunney & Makins.


TURN LEFT INTO BALGORES CRESENT


19. No.2 is by May & Perrin.


RETURN TO MAIN ROAD VIA CROSSWAYS


20. There are many vernacular style homes in Crossways e.g. No.21 by Charles Holden. No.24 is a copy of Herbert Welch’s winning design for 1 Meadway and No.26 is a copy of Curtis Green’s design for 35 Meadway.